Thursday 20 December 2012

Dog Bites and Nurse Practitioners.


Was awoken from my post night shift unconsciousness (I won't call it sleep) by my wife Janet this morning, as she had been bitten by a small, terrier whilst out running.  Although it would be very fitting if it had been a West Highland, but the description sounded more like one of those yappy brillo pad type dogs who's name I can't remember.  Happily, beneath the fairly alarming streak of dried blood lay only a very minor wound.  Unpleasant though this incident was for her, it gave me an opportunity to do two things; firstly to breach patient confidentiality without being sued (she knows I have no money), and secondly to talk a bit about nurse practitioners and how indispensable they are to the workings of the hospital here at Oban.

Janet's Leg; after dressing.
West Highland terrier; not guilty.
I wondered about her tetanus status as she had her last booster over three years ago after another running mishap.  Living 30 seconds from A+E does occasionally have its benefits and I suggested we go over and get a more informed opinion on the matter.  On arrival, Jenny one of the ENPs was on hand.  Whilst cleaning and dressing the wound, she reminded me that 5 tetanus toxoid injections are regarded as giving lifelong cover and additional cover would only be required for highly contaminated or devitalised wounds. " Of course", I said, "how could I forget". 

Perhaps because I have mostly been in big city settings prior to moving to Highland Region I have never worked in a hospital which was so reliant on nurse practitioners to run the show.  As a new junior here, the nurse practitioners in A+E keep you on the right track.  Never having done an A+E job before, I find that they are way more knowledgeable than I, especially on things like minor trauma.  I used to think I didn't like nurses telling me what to do, but now I have discovered that I love it.

There is also a ward based advanced nurse practitioner on every shift.  In addition to participating in ward rounds, helping with admissions, coordinating beds, liaising with ward staff, keeping an eye on patients with potential to deteriorate, spotting any problems which have gone unrecognized by others (sometimes me) and generally helping wherever needed, the ANPs also carry an arrest bleep and attend all resus calls to A+E.  On a hectic day on call or a busy night shift, they make a massive difference to how your day goes and they come and have a cup of tea and a chat when it is quiet.  Here is Jilly, the ANP who is on call with me tonight talking about what they do. Bye for now.


Mike.


 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment